Monday, May 23, 2011

First Line of Defense - FAIL

This past Saturday morning I was a the Libertyville office of the Illinois Secretary of State. I was renewing my drivers license. Imagine a big "help" desk with about 8 stations. Your number gets called and you go up to get help and move on to the next station.

The lady I was working with paused in mid-sentence as we heard her colleague say to the gentlemen she was helping, "Oh, your name is flagged. It says you are being flagged as a potential terrorist threat. I need to get my supervisor.". The man appeared to be in his mid-20's and seemed a bit surprised. The lady continued with saying . . . "Sometimes this happens because of a name match, or similar sounding name. My supervisor will ask you a couple of questions. If he can't clear you then we'll have you speak with someone else".

So she picks up the phone and calls the supervisor. His office was about 5 feet in back of her. I'm thinking "this will be interesting" and wondered what Home Land Security means in suburbia.

Well, I found out - and it isn't good.

The supervisor walks over and asks, "Where's the form?" The lady hands him a piece of paper, he grabs a pen out of his shirt, scribbles something on it, turns around and heads back to his office.

Never asked the guy a question, didn't even establish eye contact.

No comments: