Sunday, October 28, 2007

another dinner with the town gossip

The last time we had dinner with her was about 4 years ago. Guess time really does dull the memory. So somehow we found ourselves having dinner with her and husband the other night. Throughout the meal we touched on the usual issues, what the kids are doing (the also have a son and daughter), what they are planning to do for their daughters upcoming 13th birthday, what our kids are doing, blah, blah, blah. So as the meal is ending, the bill has yet to arrive, she turns on her stage whisper and says, So, is it true? I ask her what is she talking about. She says that I must know what she is going to ask. I don't have a clue. She says that she heard I was aligned with a group to get rid of our clergy. My wife and I both looked at her and asked in near unison and asked "Are you nuts?" She then stammered and said she had heard it a few times. We pressed her and asked her to tell us. She then says the name of a mutual friend. He also happens to be a coworker of mine. Seems I have something to talk with him about on Monday. My hope is that it will be at least another four years until we have dinner again with the town gossip. Yeesh.

1 comment:

Gashm said...

. . . so to follow up. I talk to the mutual friend. He says "you know better than to listen to her; she's a gossip". Came away with two things; 1. He didn't deny saying it. 2. He's right.